Pom poms are really easy and very satisfying to make. I decided to spend an evening making some, because I felt like it! Here’s an easy method to made your own pom poms.
You will need only… Wool… Cardboard… Scissors.
– Cut two identical disks of cardboard with a whole in the middle, like ring doughnuts.
– Wind a long length of wool around the rings. You can cut the wool into manageable lengths. Wind until you cannot fit any more through the centre and it feels tight.
– Cut through the wool all the way around at the edge, cutting in between the two cardboard disks.
– Put a length of wool between the cardboard disks and tie it tightly with a double knot, securing all the pieces of wool in the centre.
– Cut through the cardboard disks and pull away from the wool, leaving the knotted length there to hold everything together.
– Then you have the finished Pom Pom!
Trim the pom pom if you need to, making it lovely and round. You may cut the tied wool to the same length as the rest or, as I have, tie it to form a loop, then you can decide what you want to do with it!
This method is great because it is simple and you can alter the size of your disks easily to give different sized pom poms. Make a huge one and attach it to a woollen hat. Or make lots of little ones and use them as Christmas decorations and present accessories! You can use different colours to get patterns or get a fun mottled effect. Experiment with them and have some fluffy fun!